Building Renovation for Knox College in GALESBURG, IL
Project location: 2 E South St, Galesburg, IL 61401
PJ Hoerr completed a building renovation for Knox College. The LEED Silver building was designed by architects Holabird and Root of Chicago and renovated by general contractor P.J. Hoerr of Peoria. Landscape architect was Hoerr Schuadt of Chicago.
Knox College’s Alumni Hall was built in 1891, through gifts from Knox alumni. U.S. President Benjamin Harrison laid the building’s cornerstone on October 8, 1890. After the 600-seat auditorium fell into disuse and with large areas of the building not handicapped accessible, the building was closed. Prior to renovation, the facility had been vacant since the 1980’s, a full quarter of its life. In order to give new life to this historic structure, it was critical to fill it with functions that would be actively used by students, alumni, and visitors of the College.
In addition, visitors to Alumni Hall will learn about the heritage of the College and the City of Galesburg through research and programming at the Lincoln Studies Center and museum-quality displays housed within the Whitcomb Heritage Center. Featuring the original large vaulted ceiling, this transformed building will serve as both a gateway to a Knox education and to life after Knox. Standing on the edge of the historic Knox campus, the building also serves as a gateway to the Galesburg community.
See also: Our Renovation of Knox Beta House
Some in progress construction videos:
Renovation to Alumni Hall
Built in 1890, Alumni Hall made the decision to renovate the historic building to house state-of-the-art academic, administrative and academic-support facilities.
The revitalization maintained the building’s historic exterior, while transforming the building’s interior with a modern aesthetic, providing spaces for a number of active programs and departments. These programs are assembled from other remote locations on campus to create a central gateway between the campus and the surrounding community.
Renovation of this 30,000 sq ft building has transformed this historic facility out of the past and into the vibrant future of 21st-century Knox College.